Tuesday 15 May 2012

Vintage May


This month is Vintage May over at Skirt as a Top and I've decided to take part in my first photo group and uploaded a few of my latest vintage makes.  I am so passionate about using vintage pieces in my work, they are pretty and original - I love that it makes my clothing even more unique but it can be a very sad day when a piece I love has been used up, c'est la vie it's worth it to make something beautiful!

For my submissions to Vintage May I've chosen three pieces that use feedsack as it is one of my favourite vintage materials and one new vintage design circle skirt with vintage fabric as I love the 1950's style.  For those of you that don't know about feedsack it's highly collectible and quite rare.  Feedsacks were used in the early to mid 1900's as cloth bags for storing flour, rice, animal feed, grain and other household items - they were made in pretty patterns to encourage housewives to buy certain brands and the sacks could then be reused to make useful items like clothing and quilts.



This is a picture of a 1940's feedsack from my collection before I cut in to it.....
 

... and this is one of my submissions in to Vintage May, a top made using a pattern by Brownie-Goose using the vintage uncut feedsack pictured above. I've also added jumbo rick rac, gingham and pink polka dot fabric, which kind of mixes modern and vintage - something I love to do.

And here's a quick round up of my other three submissions to the photo pool.

Pattern by Brownie-Goose
A matching Katie Top and Derby Shorts made using vintage feedsack with little Bobbins style extras like a handmade crocheted flower and lace trim.


And I couldn't forget my Jubilee Dress which has vintage feedsack patches as well as vintage reproduction pieces from the Smithsonian institute, I've added a vintage button and smocked the bodice and straps. I've also added lace trim to the straps and bottom of the dress


Thanks so much Naomi for sending in this gorgeous photo!
And lastly but perhaps the most special this 1950's circle skirt which is being modelled by one of my beautiful customers. I have hand embellished the top and added ruffled broderie and a smocked waistline to this skirt. This is my own design which I am 100% proud of!


To see the photo pool and get some fantastic inspiration check out the Vintage May flickr photo pool

<3 Bobbins x

No comments:

Post a Comment